Tech and AITrump administration's deal is structured to prevent Intel from...

Trump administration’s deal is structured to prevent Intel from selling foundry unit

-


The Trump administration seems intent on controlling Intel’s ability to make key business decisions around its floundering foundry business unit.

According to reporting from the Financial Times, at a Deutsche Bank conference on Thursday, Intel’s CFO David Zinsner shared new details about the company’s recent deal with the Trump administration, which gave the U.S. government a 10% equity stake.

The deal was structured in a way to penalize Intel if it spins out its foundry business unit, which makes custom chips for outside customers, within the next few years.

Last week’s deal included a five-year warrant that would allow the U.S. government to take an additional 5% of Intel, at $20 a share, if the company held less than 51% equity in its foundry business. Zinsner said he expects that warrant to expire.

“I think from the government’s perspective, they were aligned with that; they didn’t want to see us take the business and spin it off or sell it to somebody,” he said.

Zinsner added that the company received $5.7 billion in cash on Wednesday, as a result of last week’s deal, according to Reuters. (That cash comes from the remaining grants previously awarded, but not yet paid, to Intel under the U.S. CHIPS and Science Act.)

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters today that the deal was still being ironed out.

Techcrunch event

San Francisco
|
October 27-29, 2025

Intel declined to comment on the deal beyond Zinsner’s remarks.

This deal structure is clearly a testament to the Trump administration’s desire to bring more chip manufacturing to the United States as many players in the industry turn to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company’s offshore manufacturing instead.

But this warrant also forces Intel to keep a business unit that is losing money. Intel Foundry reported an operating income loss of $3.1 billion during the second quarter and has been a source of strife for the semiconductor business.

There have been calls from analysts, board members, and investors alike to spin out the struggling foundry unit, which looked like it might actually happen last fall, before Intel Foundry’s architect, former CEO Pat Gelsinger, retired suddenly in December.



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Look Inside Monero’s FCMP Upgrade Plan to Recover From 51% Attack

This week Monero (XMR crypto) developers moved to calm fears of a potential 51% attack linked to the...

FTX token holders are getting Pudgy Penguins tokens

The new Pudgy Penguins token is going to be distributed to holders of FTX’s FTT token who will...

Anthropic Warns of AI-Powered Cybercrime in New Threat Report

Anthropic’s August report reveals hackers, North Korean operatives, and state actors misused its Claude AI for extortion, fraud,...

Legal Showdown Set: Court to Hear Fed Governor Lisa Cook’s Suit Against Trump on Friday

The president fired the central bank governor on Monday evening, but Cook is fighting back with a lawsuit...

Advertisement

Ethereum Labeled ‘Wall Street Token’ as Banks Adapt to Stablecoin Demands

Jan van Eck, CEO of investment management firm VanEck, recently described Ethereum as “the Wall Street token” while...

US sanctions Russian money laundering network that used USDT

TGR Group, an alleged Russian money laundering network, has been disrupted by a joint effort from the US,...

Must read

Look Inside Monero’s FCMP Upgrade Plan to Recover From 51% Attack

This week Monero (XMR crypto) developers moved to...

FTX token holders are getting Pudgy Penguins tokens

The new Pudgy Penguins token is going to...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you